I rent some studio space at Victoria Mill, Foundary Bank in Congleton, where I have been spending as much time as I can for the last couple of years. I started in the smallest studio on the top floor, then I moved to a larger one on the first floor. I was not sure whether I would continue to use my studio, but have found it invaluable as a get away place.
I used to work as a Technical Instructor teaching IT and running workshops on Art & Crafts, at a day centre for people experiencing mental ill health for the NHS. Unfortunately due to restructoring the service was closed down and I was redeployed to a new post in a completely different setting. It took me quite some time to come to terms with my new surroundings and I have now become an important cog in the running of a ward for patients with dementia related illnesses.
I have set up new systems for document control, and help the ward staff to access their training. This has all been very interesting and I have been most fortunate to wrork with some wonderful nursing staff. My manager is particulary good and encourages me to work on my own initiative, which suits me very well.
I do still miss the workshop environment and helping people who just need that little extra support to get along. However, in my current roll I have been able to use my teaching skills and managed to become a linch pin on the ward for staff training.
I enjoy my miriad of crafting skills, but just lack the time to be able to access my studio to make the most of them. I have decided to start a monthly crochet workshop so that I can do a little of what I like, while exploring how I can expand on this and reduce other less fulfilling work.
I have arranged for a friend to come to my studio for some crochet lessons and plan to develop this in stages. First of all I need to clear out some of my other interesting crafts so I can see the wood from the trees. I have identified some stuff I would like to sell on ebay and some books to sell on Amazon, so let's see how it all goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment